About Our Society
Group Analytic Society Belgrade (GAS Belgrade) is an expert organization of group analysts which deals with study, training, understanding, development, promotion and advancement of theory, practice, education and research about the group analysis, as well as expansion of ideas of group analysis to other related sciences.
Furthermore, the Society deals with preservation of high professional and ethical standards in group analysis and its interconnectivity with other psychotherapeutic and professional associations and institutions, both nationally and internationally.
In order to achieve these aims, the Society:
- Gathers experts, group analysts, who come together to develop and enhance theory and practice of group analysis
- Contributes to enhancement of group analysts’ position and advocates for their interest in front of the Society and its organizations
- Organizes, encourages and supports its members to educate themselves in line with the criteria of the relevant international organizations and in line with plans adopted by the expert body of the Society (Training Committee)
- Proposes expert criteria necessary to conduct group analysis and ensures that they are accepted by relevant institutions and group analysts themselves
- Takes care of the professional identity of group analysis and group analysts in our environment
- Takes care of creation of necessary conditions for practicing group analysis as a means to help and treat people, as well as conditions for the work of group analysts aimed at healing and education on the territory of Belgrade and Serbia, as well as internationally
One of the important goals of the Society, which should be especially highlighted bearing in mind the present moment in our society which is going through different social turbulences and crisis of institutions, is to enhance the understanding of how small and big groups and teams function from analytical point of view. Furthermore, the goal is to initiate research and apply this knowledge in other areas important for the functioning of a society as a whole.
The Society was established in 1995 by a group of analysts who were educated in this field by the Institute of Group Analysis, London. This education was led by Dr George Renton and Anne Morgan in the period from 1987 until 1993 and it entailed Introductory and Clinical course.
The Society provides education in group analysis according to the EGATIN standards (European Group Analytic Training Institutions Network), and the Society is a full member of the network. Also, GAS Belgrade is a member of the SDPTS (The Serbian Union of Associations For Psychotherapy). Moreover, within the European Association for Psychotherapy (EAP), GAS Belgrade has a status of an institute (EAPTI - European Accreditation Professional Training Institute). GAS Belgrade is fully-fledged member of the EFPP (European Federation of Psychoanalytical Psychotherapists), and it’s Group Analysis Section.